Learn to ride safely in traffic
Follow the same rules as you do in a vehicle:
- Ride in the same direction as traffic
- Maintain visibility with lights and signals
- Use the full lane when appropriate
- Follow all applicable bicycle laws
Be predictable—signal your turns, ride in a straight line, and stop at all stop signs and lights. As a safety precaution, we also recommend riding with a helmet.
Find a biking workshop that is right for you!
Local Motion’s Everyday Bicycling Project encourages people to use a bicycle to do those everyday trips like grocery shopping, getting to work, or even picking up the kids from school. It’s about making the choice to leave your car behind when you can in favor of getting outside and saving gas
All Everyday Bicycling Project services are now FREE for Vermont organizations thanks to VTrans and the Chittenden County Regional Planning Commission. To schedule an expert-led workshop or find one near you, please visit Local Motion’s Everyday Bicycling Project page.
Local Motion workshops include:
- Introduction to Basic Bike Skills – This on-bike workshop is perfect for adults who haven’t ridden their bikes in a long time. We will help sharpen rusty skills, and even give you brand-new ones!
- Basic Everyday Bicycling Workshop – This one-hour workshop gives participants the information and encouragement you need to start safely using your bicycle for transportation.
- On-Street Everyday Bicycling Workshop – This workshop helps participants build skills and confidence for riding on the street! The focus of this workshop will be on feeling comfortable riding with traffic and being safe.
- Basic Bike Mechanics Workshop – This workshop will give participants the skills you need to be able to roam far and wide on your bike with confidence.
- Safe Family Everyday Bicycling Workshop – Many people bicycle less after having children. Participants at this workshop will discover how to ride safely with children, and ways to include their child on more bike rides.
- Winter Everyday Bicycling Workshop – This workshop covers all participants need to know to enter the wild and exciting world of riding through the winter.
Find perks around town with the Bicycle Benefits program
Get discounts at local shops for putting a Bicycle Benefits sticker on your helmet and riding to the shop! Contact Local Motion to request a Bicycle Benefits sticker and a quick reference card for your region.
Visit Local Motion for more information.
The Vermont Bike-Walk Challenge
Grab your bike, boots, or shoes and participate in the Vermont Bike-Walk Challenge to win prizes, save money, feel healthier, and cut pollution! This challenge happens at least twice per year through the Go! Vermont smartphone app.
Download the app and visit www.localmotion.org/bikewalkchallenge for more info.
(ps: E-bikes, scooters, and e-scooters all count for the Challenge and within the Go! Vermont app!)
Questions? Looking for Maps & Routes?
Visit Local Motion for all of the answers to your questions—including bike map and route options in Vermont.